EXCURSION: ARCE Walk Around The Mosque of Rifa?ey and The Citadel Find us
Date: Saturday, December 20th, 2008Time: Meet at ARCE; bus leaves at 9:00 a.m. sharp
Explore the "off-the-beaten tracks" of Cairo with Tarek Swelim (Ph.D., Harvard, www.tarekswelim.com). The walk will take us to The Mosque of Rifa'ey and The Citadel.
Drive to the Mosque of Rifa'ey, and discuss its architecture (1869-80 & 1905-12)
- Visit the tombs of the Khedive Ismail, his 3 wives and mother, Koshyar
- The Tomb of Sultan Husayn Kamil and his wife
- The Tombs of King Fu'ad, his mother, Ferial, and King Faruq and King Faruq's sister
- The Tomb of the late Shah of Iran, "Muhammad Reza Pahlavi"
Drive to the Citadel to explore:
- The Mosque of Sulayman Pasha (Sidi Sarya)(1528)
- We might explore the towers of Bug al-Haddad and Burg al-Ramla, if open to the public
- The Mosque of Sultan al-Malik al-Nassir Muhammad (1318 - 35)
- The Mosque of Muhammad Ali the Great (1833)
Drive back to ARCE; approximate time of return is 1:00 p.m.
Cost per person is LE90 for ARCE members, LE95 for non-members. Learn about becoming a member>>.
Please dress very conservatively, and wear comfortable walking shoes and heavy socks for mosque interiors. Women should bring headscarves.
For more information and to sign up contact Mary Sadek in the Cairo Office by phone (20 2 2794 8239 or 20 2 2795 8683) or email.
INTERNATIONAL COUNCIL OF MUSEUMS
The International Council of Museums, in an effort to fight against illicit traffic in cultural goods, compiles the Emergency Red List of Egyptian Cultural Objects at Risk. This list aims to help art and heritage professionals and law enforcement officials identify Egyptian objects that are protected by national and international legislations. View the Red List for Egypt.