EXCURSION: ARCE Walk around the Area of ?Bayn al-Qasrayn? Find us
Date: Saturday, January 10, 2009Time: Meet at ARCE; bus leaves at 9:00 a.m. sharp
Explore the Area of "Bayn al-Qasrayn," the richest area of Historic Cairo with Tarek Swelim (Ph.D., Harvard, www.tarekswelim.com).
Drive to the Khan al-Khalili Area; Walk through the Khan to the famous Shari' al-Mu'izz to the Bayn al-Qasrayn Area. Visit the most prestigious buildings of Islamic Cairo, including:
- The Madrasa of Salih Nagm al-Din Ayyub
- The Complex of Sultan Qala'un--newly restored and might be visited
- The Madrasa of Sultan al-Nasser Muhammad
- The Khanqah of Sultan Barquq
- The Sabil of Isma'il Pasha (son of Muhammad Ali)
- Qasr Amir Bashtak exterior
- The Sabil Kuttab of Abd al-Rahman Katkhuda
- The Madrasa of Amir Mithqal
- The Madrasa and Mausoleum of Tatar al-Higaziyya
- The Maq'ad of Mamay al-Sayfi
Walk ends back at Khan al-Khalili at approximately 1:00 p.m. Bus will then return to ARCE.
Cost per person is LE90 for ARCE members, LE95 for non-members. Learn about becoming a member>>.
Please dress very conservatively, and wear comfortable walking shoes. Women should bring headscarves.
For more information and to sign up contact Mary Sadek in the Cairo Office by phone (20 2 2794 8239 or 20 2 2795 8683) or email.
INTERNATIONAL COUNCIL OF MUSEUMS
The International Council of Museums, in an effort to fight against illicit traffic in cultural goods, compiles the Emergency Red List of Egyptian Cultural Objects at Risk. This list aims to help art and heritage professionals and law enforcement officials identify Egyptian objects that are protected by national and international legislations. View the Red List for Egypt.