EXCURSION: ARCE Walk around Downtown Cairo - Al-Isma?iliyya Quarter Find us
Date: Friday, April 10, 2009Time: Meet at ARCE at 9:00 a.m. sharp. There is no bus, just walking.
Admire the architectural masterpieces of downtown Cairo's Al-Ismaâ€™iliyya Quarter in this brand-new tour, led by architectural historian Tarek Swelim (Ph.D., Harvard, www.tarekswelim.com).
- Maydan al-Tahrir & Mosque of Umar Makram
- Shariâ€™ Muhammad Mahmud: AUC, Lycee and Frere schools and apartment building opposite
- Maydan al-Falaki and the Closed Bab al-Luq Market
- The Ministry of al-Awqaf Building
- Shariâ€™ Qasr al-Nil and the Trieste Building
- Shariâ€™ Muhammad Farid & the Bank Misr Building
- Maydan Mustafa Basha Kamil
- Cross 26th of July Street
- Along Shariâ€™ Imad al-Din and the Shawarbi Building
- Shariâ€™ Ramsis and the Engineerâ€™s Syndicate, Engineerâ€™s Society, Music Institute and Muslim Youth Building (al-Shubban al-Muslimin) as well as many others
- Along Sharâ€™ Champollion
- Maydan Talaâ€™at Harb
- Back to Maydan al-Tahrir and ARCE
Cost per person is LE70 for ARCE members, LE90 for non-members. Learn about becoming a member>>.
Please dress very conservatively, and wear comfortable walking shoes. Women should bring headscarves.
For more information and to sign up contact Mary Sadek in the Cairo Office by phone (20 2 2794 8239 or 20 2 2795 8683) or email.
INTERNATIONAL COUNCIL OF MUSEUMS