EXCURSION: ARCE Walk around Downtown Cairo - Al-Isma?iliyya Quarter Find us
Date: Friday, April 10, 2009Time: Meet at ARCE at 9:00 a.m. sharp. There is no bus, just walking.
Admire the architectural masterpieces of downtown Cairo's Al-Ismaâ€™iliyya Quarter in this brand-new tour, led by architectural historian Tarek Swelim (Ph.D., Harvard, www.tarekswelim.com).
- Maydan al-Tahrir & Mosque of Umar Makram
- Shariâ€™ Muhammad Mahmud: AUC, Lycee and Frere schools and apartment building opposite
- Maydan al-Falaki and the Closed Bab al-Luq Market
- The Ministry of al-Awqaf Building
- Shariâ€™ Qasr al-Nil and the Trieste Building
- Shariâ€™ Muhammad Farid & the Bank Misr Building
- Maydan Mustafa Basha Kamil
- Cross 26th of July Street
- Along Shariâ€™ Imad al-Din and the Shawarbi Building
- Shariâ€™ Ramsis and the Engineerâ€™s Syndicate, Engineerâ€™s Society, Music Institute and Muslim Youth Building (al-Shubban al-Muslimin) as well as many others
- Along Sharâ€™ Champollion
- Maydan Talaâ€™at Harb
- Back to Maydan al-Tahrir and ARCE
Cost per person is LE70 for ARCE members, LE90 for non-members. Learn about becoming a member>>.
Please dress very conservatively, and wear comfortable walking shoes. Women should bring headscarves.
For more information and to sign up contact Mary Sadek in the Cairo Office by phone (20 2 2794 8239 or 20 2 2795 8683) or email.
INTERNATIONAL COUNCIL OF MUSEUMS
The International Council of Museums, in an effort to fight against illicit traffic in cultural goods, compiles the Emergency Red List of Egyptian Cultural Objects at Risk. This list aims to help art and heritage professionals and law enforcement officials identify Egyptian objects that are protected by national and international legislations. View the Red List for Egypt.