EXCURSION: ARCE Walk to the Darb El Ahmar Area Find us
Date: Saturday, February 28, 2009Time: Meet at ARCE; bus leaves at 9:00 a.m. sharp
Explore Cairo "off the beaten track," this time to the Darb El Ahmar area, from the Citadel to Al-Azhar Street. Enjoy a guided walk through some of the beautiful monuments of Islamic Cairo with Tarek Swelim (Ph.D., Harvard, www.tarekswelim.com).
Leave from ARCE, drive to the area west of the Citadel at Bab al-Mudarrag and visit the following monuments:
- Remains and Ruins of the Bimaristan (Hospital) of Sultan al-Mu'ayyad
- Dome of Amir Tarabay â€“ exterior
- Mosque of Amir Aytmish al-Baghasi - exterior
- Mosques of Khayer Bek & Aqsunqur
- House of Bayt a-Razzaz - exterior
- Mosque of Umm al-Sultan Sha'ban
- Mosque of Amir al-Tanbugha al-Maridani
- Mosque of Ahmed al-Mihmindar - exterior facade
- Mosque of Amir Qidjmas al-Ishaqi
- Mosque of Saleh Tala'e â€“ exterior
- Bab Zuwayla Area â€“ without climbing the walls
- Mosque of Sultan al-Mu'ayyad Shaykh
- Walk to Azhar Street via Complex of Sultan al-Ghuri
Cost per person is LE100 for ARCE members, LE120 for non-members. Learn about becoming a member>>.
Please dress very conservatively, and wear comfortable walking shoes. Women should bring headscarves.
For more information and to sign up contact Mary Sadek in the Cairo Office by phone (20 2 2794 8239 or 20 2 2795 8683) or email.
INTERNATIONAL COUNCIL OF MUSEUMS
The International Council of Museums, in an effort to fight against illicit traffic in cultural goods, compiles the Emergency Red List of Egyptian Cultural Objects at Risk. This list aims to help art and heritage professionals and law enforcement officials identify Egyptian objects that are protected by national and international legislations. View the Red List for Egypt.