ARCE Fellowship and Research Associate Application Guidelines
Our new application portal is made possible through cooperation with the Council of American Overseas Research Centers. All documentation should be uploaded using the online process. Documentation must be complete before submitting the application and uploaded using the online process.
The deadline for all applications is January 15, 2018. Apply here >>
A completed Fellowship application consists of the following components:
- An online application form
- Statement of research proposal (1,500 words) that:
- Describes your intended research
- Describes your research methodology(ies)
- Demonstrates the need to consult sources in Egypt
- Explains the scholarly significance of your research and your qualifications to undertake the research
- Assesses the feasibility of completing your research within the proposed timeframe
- Describes the final publication format (dissertation, book, chapter, etc.)
- Three recommendation letters for all applicants PLUS one language proficiency recommendation letter for pre-doctoral applicants
- Graduate and undergraduate transcripts for pre-doctoral applicants
- Antiquities applicants: Ministry of Antiquities security form
- All other applicants: The Ministry of Higher Education (MoHE) application form in English and the MoHE security form in Arabic PLUS a 100-200 word Arabic abstract describing the proposed research (uploaded as a PDF document). Keep the language simple and do not use academic jargon.
- Faculty and senior scholars interested in serving as the ARCE Scholar-in-Residence should indicate your interest on the application. Duties include mentoring Fellows new to the field or to Egypt. The residency is concurrent with the fellowship and offers a modest $250 honorarium per month.
Important note for ALL applicants: All scholars conducting research with ARCE’s administrative or financial support require security clearance from the Egyptian government. If your research relies on interviews, public observation, questionnaires, participant observation, visual anthropology, or attending public events or if your research focuses on the military, religious movements, civilian-military relations, or politics in the current century it is unlikely you will gain clearance. Applicants should consult the Academic Programs Coordinator, Djodi Deutsch at firstname.lastname@example.org prior to completing your application if any of those scenarios applies to you.
Important note for MoA applicants: Fellowships are not intended to support participation as an expedition member. If your proposal includes any fieldwork or association with an expedition in order to work with the materials in their storehouse, please contact Djodi Deutsch, email@example.com regarding its acceptability prior to submitting your application. Joining an expedition is only possible during a hiatus in your fellowship, at which time you will receive no financial support from ARCE.
For Funded Fellowships - monthly allowances / per diem (Research Associates should be independently funded):
National Endowment for the Humanities Funded Fellowships
|All NEH Fellows||$4200|
State Department Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs Funded Fellowships
|TYPE OF FELLOW||SINGLE||ACCOMPANIED BY ONE DEPENDENT||ACCOMPANIED BY TWO DEPENDENTS|
All inquiries should be sent to Djodi Deutsch, Academic Programs Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org