ARCE

Lower section, East end of South Wall, post-conservation

Description:
Lower section, East end of South Wall, post-conservation
Physical Description:
1 color transparency and 4 x 5 color transparency
Photographer:
Image capture by Yarko Kobylecky.
Date Created:
2008
Collection:
Luxor Roman Wall Paintings
Series:
Post-conservation
Location:
Luxor, Egypt
Time Period:
Tetrarchy (284-313 AD) and New Kingdom Egypt (1548-1086)
Topic:
Temple of Luxor (Luxor, Egypt), Antiquities, Roman, Fresco painting, Mural painting and decoration, Roman -- Conservation and restoration, and Inscriptions, Egyptian
Genre:
color transparencies and frescoes (paintings)
Local ID:
arce_lrwp_af_108.tif
Project History:
Amenhotep III was responsible for constructing the greater part of the present Luxor Temple around 1400 BCE. Under Diocletian, Emperor of Rome, 245-313, the first Tetrarchy transformed the temple site, including one of the temple’s offering halls into what is now known as the imperial cult chamber. In the early 2000s, ARCE conducted several site visits to Luxor to extensively document the grounds and undertake conversation efforts for the Roman frescoes present in that chamber.